Looking at the side of the Watermelon, the white part of the rind is aproximate 1 inch thickness, which is perfect for salad since we will be removing the green outer part, and as much of the pink fruit as possible. Please use a cutting board to cut the green skin off the melon, and cut the pieces in manageable sections, after removing the pink fruit (fleshy part for everyone to enjoy). If one particular piece proves too difficult to remove the green skin, go on to another piece.
Once the green skin of the Watermelon is removed, get each piece ready to julienne (which means you will cut into strips just like french fries)! Put each piece of rind face up (concave shape to your hand, convex shape to cutting board), and start cutting at right, or left side, into thin strips (not too thin nor thick for this recipe).
Please don’t worry about perfect strips in your julienne rind, that is not going to change the flavor of the salad, be glad it’s done! Woot! Also, you will have used aprox half of the watermelon to equal 10 cups.
Now your watermelon rind is ready for the three (3) Kiwis. Remove the skin of the Kiwis, and cut the fruit in slices right over the watermelon rind, which is julienne. Please cut the slices of Kiwi in about 1/4 inch thickness, otherwise they will, well you know…. disintegrate!
You are ready to give another dimension of flavor to the salad! Take 4 scallions (washed and with root cut off bottom), cutting into slices about 1/2 thickness; add to the kiwis, and rind. I like to toss the scallions on top of the kiwis, so the fruit will absorb some of the flavor from the scallions!
In the mean time, in a separate bowl, add 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, and 2 cups of balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing, and blend together. Now put the rind, kiwis, and scallions into garlic, and balsamic vinaigrette, mixing well with a large spoon, or spatula.
Now that the salad is ready, put into a clean bowl chilling for about 1 hour, so that flavors all blend together! Before you put in fridge, add the juice of a fresh squeezed lime, or lemon. Optionally, you can add 6 crushed leaves of mint (spearmint) for a really fresh zing!!
A healthy, and delicious salad that definitely spells summer, is high in citrulline amino acids good for a healthy heart. There is another practice that is very important: being frugal, and eating well!! I hope you enjoy my salad recipe with BBQs, or meals of choice!
Kitchen Tools You Will Need:
- Cutting Board
- Large Dish (1)
- Two (2) Large Bowls (I prefer non metal bowls)
- 1 large mixing spoon or spatula
- 10 cups peeled watermelon rind
- 3 kiwis
- 4 scallions (washed,a nd roots cuts off)
- 1 lemon, or lime juice fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups of Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- 6 crushed mint leaves (optional)
Once I have made my salad, I like to dunk a couple pieces of bread in to the mixing bowl, to reward myself for a job well done!
It has been my pleasure to create the Eros Food Garden BBQ Salad just for you, family, and friends! Enjoy!!
- Please Do Not let your children try and cut the green skin off the watermelon, it is a very hard skin, and is dangerous for them.
- Wash the watermelon throughly before cutting it.
- Watermelon Radish – Stunning Color for Your Salad (pastaprincessandmore.wordpress.com)
- ~ Blueberry-Kiwi-Watermelon Salad on Baby Greens w/White Balsamic Vinaigrette (My heatwave salad!) ~ (kitchenencounters.typepad.com)
- Fresh food photo op – keepin’ it local (freshrivervalley.com)
- Watermelon Feta Salad (meatballsandmilkshakes.com)
- Do Something Different With Watermelon (snack-girl.com)
- Tortellini Salad Recipe & Summer BBQ (healthycoconutblog.com)
- Dr. Oz Garbage Can Health Boosters (doctoroz.com)